My sons . . .attended this marvelous school where they received the best foundation for their lives that we could have possibly provided! I remember when they were just wild little boys, being asked to send cloth napkins and silverware to school! Most EXCELLENT. KMS Alumni Parent, 2015
Elementary (1st – 6th Grade)
The KMS Elementary Program
KMS has two Elementary classes: Lower Elementary for 1st-3rd graders and Upper Elementary for 4th-6th graders. The classes are led by Montessori-certified teachers. Lower Elementary is supported by a teacher assistant.
For more information on our Elementary teaching staff, please visit our Faculty/Staff page.
The KMS Elementary curriculum builds on the work our students do in the Primary classes, and like the Primary curriculum it meets and exceeds the State of Tennessee curriculum guidelines.
The curriculum is organized into five major areas.
- History and Culture
- Advanced Geography
Elementary students also have one hour of recess each day.
- Art: The Elementary curriculum includes regular art projects using a variety of artistic styles and media.
- Music, Movement, & Dance: All Elementary students have an hour-long Music, Movement, and Dance class each week, and the older students learn to read music and play the recorder.
- Field Trips: The Elementary curriculum is supplemented by regular field trips to plays, concerts, museums, and other cultural and scientific events and institutions, as well as to outdoor education programs. Regular destinations include UT’s McClung Museum, the Knoxville Symphony, the Children’s Dance Ensemble, and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
- Ice-Skating Lessons: During the winter, Elementary students take eight weeks of ice-skating lessons at the Ice Chalet, located near KMS, just west of Western Plaza.
- Spanish: Elementary students can choose to participate in our optional after-school Spanish classes.
|7:30 – 8:00 a.m.||Classroom Prep|
|8:00 – 11:30 a.m||Morning Work Cycle|
|11:30 – 11:45 a.m||Story Time|
|11:45 a.m. – 12:45||Lunch – Setting Table, Mealtime, Table Clearing, Dishes|
|12:45 – 1:30 p.m.||Recess|
|1:30 – 2:00 p.m.||Silent Reading|
|2:00 – 2:45 p.m.||Individual & Small Group Lessons|
|Ice Skating (Jan.-March)|
|2:45 p.m.||Clean up|
|3:00 p.m.||Group Time|
|3:15 – 6:00 p.m.||After Care|
As required by state law, KMS gives one standardized test each year to students in 2nd-6th grade. We use the Stanford Achievement Test because it measures students against a national norm.
We use the test, in part, as practical life lesson to help students develop test-taking skills. We also use the results to help students, families, and teachers identify areas where students need additional work.