KMS truly cares about the individual student. . . . They encourage the children to develop their own skills. KMS Parent, 2010
Elementary (1st – 5th Grade)
The KMS Elementary Program
KMS has one Elementary class for 1st-5th grade with a maximum of 34 students.
The class is led by two Montessori-certified teachers – one certified through 6th grade, the other through 3rd grade. The teachers are supported by a full-time assistant.
Elizabeth Coburn, our Senior Elementary Teacher, has been teaching at KMS for over 20 years. In January 2012, she was recognized as an “Exceptional Educator” by the Knoxville News Sentinel. You can read the article about Ms. Coburn here.
For more information about Ms. Coburn and the rest of our Elementary staff, please visit our Faculty/Staff page.
The KMS Elementary curriculum builds on the work our students do in the Primary classes, and like the Primary curriculum it meets and exceeds the State of Tennessee curriculum guidelines.
The curriculum is organized into five major areas.
- History and Culture
- Advanced Geography
Elementary students also have one hour of recess each day.
- Art: The Elementary curriculum includes regular art projects using a variety of artistic styles and media.
- Music, Movement, & Dance: All Elementary students have an hour-long Music, Movement, and Dance class each week, and the older students learn to read music and play the recorder.
- Field Trips: The Elementary curriculum is supplemented by regular field trips to plays, concerts, museums, and other cultural and scientific events and institutions, as well as to outdoor education programs. Regular destinations include UT’s McClung Museum, the Knoxville Symphony, the Children’s Dance Ensemble, the Oak Ridge Museum of Science and Energy, Camp Wesley Woods, and the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
- Ice-Skating Lessons: During the winter, Elementary students take eight weeks of ice-skating lessons at the Ice Chalet, located near KMS, just west of Western Plaza.
- Spanish: Elementary students can choose to participate in our optional after-school Spanish classes.
|7:30 a.m.||Before Care|
|8:00 – 11:45 a.m||Morning Work Cycle|
|11:45 a.m. – 12:45||Lunch – Setting Table, Mealtime, Table Clearing, Dishes|
|12:45 – 1:45 p.m.||Recess|
|1:45 – 2:15 p.m.||Silent Reading|
|2:15 – 2:45 p.m.||Individual & Small Group Lessons|
|Ice Skating (Jan.-March)|
|2:45 p.m.||Clean up|
|3:00 p.m.||Story Time – Selected Children’s Literature|
|3:15 – 6:00 p.m.||After Care|
As required by state law, KMS gives one standardized test each year to students in 2nd-5th grade. We use the Stanford Achievement Test because it measures students against a national norm.
We use the test, in part, as practical life lesson to help students develop test-taking skills. We also use the results to help students, families, and teachers identify areas where students need additional work.